“The Art of San Francisco” is the theme for the 2012 SF Open Studios Guide.
ArtSpan is holding an open call for Artwork submissions inspired by San Francisco’s citizens, icons, history, and love of art. The winning Artwork will be used for the 2012 SF Open Studios Campaign, including cover Artwork for the Guide (a full-color, 144-page catalog with 20,000 print run), as well as promotional advertising in various publications, outdoor advertising, print and online broadcasts, and other promotional vehicles.
SF Open Studios is a salute to the artists that make up the cultural wealth of our city and give us credence as one of the most creative places in the world. The thirty-seven year old city-wide art celebration includes over 800 artists who open their studios each October. Each weekend, participating artists in their designated portion of San Francisco welcome the public into their homes and workspaces to share their Artwork and engage in dialogue. The SF Open Studios Guide is the travel companion for each weekend of the event, featuring Artwork examples from each artist, maps, and articles.
Winning Submission will be awarded $500 in cash and prizes!
• Open to artists residing in San Francisco or Bay Area.
• All entries must be original and executed within the past 3 years.
• Collaborations are accepted.
• Work must not have been used for print material purposes (other than to promote the work of artist).
• If selected, Artwork must be available for viewing during the SF Open Studios Exhibition in October-November 2012 at SOMArts Cultural Center
• Entries are being accepted in painting, drawing, printmaking, photography, sculpture, mixed media, and assemblage.
• One entry per artist.
• Artist statement of originality – 300 words or less describing what inspired the piece.
• Art must be submitted in portrait orientation (8.375 X 10.875 catalog size) -
•Artwork that is longer than it is tall will not be eligible due to restrictions of Artwork use.
• All image files for the initial entry should be submitted in JPEG format.
• All image files must be titled with artist’s last name, first initial, and the entry’s title. This information must match the title and name on the entry form.
• If chosen, artist must provide a high resolution image appropriate for print. 300 dpi image at 8.5” x 11” format in CMYK.
Additional Photography may be ordered by ArtSpan to meet print quality standards.
Finalists and Winning submissions will be featured in the Guide and Online. Artwork of selected finalists may be used inside the Guide as weekend dividers with the discretion of the editorial team.
Entry Deadline: April 25, 2012
Finalist Notification: May 7, 2012
Cover Artist Notification: May 16, 2012
Guide Release: mid-September 2012
Questions? Contact guide(at)artspan.org
ArtSpan, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, builds community by connecting the public to visual arts in San Francisco. Through SF Open Studios, youth and adult education, and art-centric events, ArtSpan creates a platform for artists to thrive, fostering a Bay Area that values the arts.