Call for Community Liaisons
About the Program:
ArtSpan is seeking artists with interest and/or experience in coordinating between artists and businesses to allow for site-specific window displays to be created at 6-10 businesses in the Excelsior district. The program will culminate in an Artwalk along Mission Street in the Excelsior to celebrate the displays with the community on June 8. This programming will engage Excelsior artists and businesses in advance of ArtSpan’s move into the new ArtSpan Onondaga Art Center in 2020. With support from the Mayor’s Office of Economic and Workforce Development’s SF Shines program, ArtSpan is excited to be expanding our programming in the neighborhood and to engage local residents with connections to the community to assist in the implementation of this event.
About the role:
Up to two Community Liaisons will be selected to coordinate directly between participating businesses and selected artists to insure that approved designs are feasible for both artists and businesses. In addition, they will schedule and oversee installation of all window displays, and coordinate details related to the businesses’ and artists’ participation in the artwalk on June 8. The position(s) will report directly to the Program Manager who will provide consistent organizational support and project management. In addition the Community Liaison(s) will support promotional efforts on the local level through promotional posters, postcard distribution, and social media support. This is an 4-8 hour/week time commitment until the week of install (week of June 3) in which there will be significantly more demand for oversight. This position will be compensated via contract stipend.
- Establish relationships with local businesses participating in the artwalk
- Manage communication between businesses and artists to ensure that questions are answered, problems are solved, and all deadlines are met
- Promote the event, and document the process via ArtSpan social media
- Distribute printed collateral such as postcards and posters to participating artists and businesses, as well as businesses along the corridor
- Schedule install for the week of June 3
- Coordinate with artists for artwork delivery and install date
- Confirm Artwalk details with artists and businesses
- Attend and facilitate the artwalk on June 8, 2019
- Coordinate and oversee deinstall in late July, 2019
- Lives and/or works in the Excelsior or Southern Neighborhoods, is familiar with and engaged in their respective art communities
- Strong communication skills
- Experience installing art
- Interest in curating or programming
- Flexible schedule, can be available during business hours to meet with business owners, drop off collateral, and meet with artists
- Native Spanish, Chinese, or Tagalog speaker
DEADLINE: Applications are due by Sunday, April 15, 2019.
Submissions Materials: Email PDF of resume and cover letter to [email protected]
ArtSpan staff will review all applications. Interviews with ArtSpan staff will take place during the first week of April.
Please contact [email protected] with any questions.
ArtSpan hires staff without regard to race, color, creed, religion, gender, sex, national origin or ancestry, medical conditions including genetic characteristics, marital status, registered domestic partner status, or sexual orientation.
If you are interested in volunteering, click here!