Art-in-Neighborhoods Intern 2019
ArtSpan seeks an intern to support ArtSpan’s Art-in-Neighborhood exhibitions program and related events. Reporting to the Program Coordinator, the position provides the opportunity to gain first hand experience of the exhibition making process, from the call for submissions to artwork selection, installation, and reception events all the way through coordinating deinstall. The Art-in-Neighborhoods Intern will assist in all aspects of this timeline.
Winter/Spring Internship: 4-6 months starting January 2019; 1-2 days per week (roughly 8–10 hours) as needed. Hours will be divided between consistent time in the office and time spent assisting with exhibition installation, opening reception events, and other exhibition related duties that will be scheduled as needed in advance.
Tasks may include:
- Support ArtSpan staff during all aspects of exhibition planning, artwork drop-off/pick-up, gallery prep, artwork installation, events, de-installation, and gallery clean-up
- Artist relations and customer service related to exhibitions and related events
- Volunteer management at exhibition artwork installs and events
- Data entry and filing related to exhibitions programing
- Recent college graduate or degree-seeking student
- Existing knowledge or interest in artwork installation
- Existing knowledge or interest in using artwork hanging hardware, basic tools and equipment
- Ability to lift 25 pounds and work for long hours on feet, standing, moving, and getting dirty
- Computer and internet literate
- Able to work well with others, sense of humor
- Flexible schedule and availability
Unpaid Internship. Non-monetary benefits include entry to arts events and artist workshops, team building activities, intern appreciation events, and access to a community of local artists.
Claire Frost, Programs Coordinator
Send cover letter and resume to [email protected] with “Art-In-Neighborhoods Intern 2019” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
Arts Administration and Events Intern 2019
ArtSpan seeks an intern who is interested in learning about the inner-workings of a non-profit arts organization. This position supports the Program Director and other ArtSpan Staff with day-to-day operations and office duties. Projects may include:
- Assist with membership programming and community outreach
- Assist with exhibitions and events preparation, facilitation and follow-up documentation
- Attend events and installations as on-site support and ArtSpan advocate
- Office and administrative support as needed
Three month internship starting January 2019 with potential for growth; 2 days per week as needed (flexible), with some after-hours/weekend events (Mixers, Workshops, Exhibition Events, Art Auction, etc.). ArtSpan office hours are M-F, 10am-6pm.
Tasks May include:
- Data entry, mailings, filing; general administrative tasks
- Manage incoming communications via phone and email
- Support artists, volunteers and members at events and trainings
- Assist with exhibition management and installations
- Manage office organizational projects
- Recruit artist and supporter members at public engagement events
- Other duties as needed
- Recent college graduate, degree-seeking student, or professional looking for experience in arts non-profit work
- Computer and Internet literate
- Proficiency in MS Word, MS Excel
- Familiarity with databases, ability to learn FileMaker Pro
- Ability to handle multiple projects at once
- Ability to lift up to 20 pounds
- Ability to work in a small office environment
- Sense of humor
- Knowledge of San Francisco visual arts community preferred
Unpaid internship; non-monetary benefits include complimentary admission to ArtSpan openings and events, in-depth experience working in the non-profit field.
Allison Snopek, Program Director
Send cover letter and resume to [email protected] with “Arts Administration and Events Intern Application” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
ArtSpan hires staff without regard to race, color, creed, religion, gender, sex, national origin or ancestry, medical conditions including genetic characteristics, marital status, registered domestic partner status, or sexual orientation.
If you are interested in volunteering, click here!